3/4 lb Ground Beef
1 lb Italian Sausage, Hot/Sweet
1/2 c Onion, Chopped
2 ea Garlic Cloves, Crushed
2 tb Sugar
1 tb Salt
2 ts Ground black pepper
2 ts Basil Leaves, crushed
1/2 ts Fennel Seed
1/2 c Chopped Parsley
4 c Tomatoes, Undrained
12 oz Tomato Paste
1 tb Salt
12 ea Lasagna Noodles
15 oz Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
1 ea Egg
1/2 ts Salt
3/4 lb Mozzarella Cheese,
3 oz Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1. Remove sausage meat from outer casings and chop up the
2. In a 5-quart Dutch Oven and over medium heat, saute sausage,
beef, onion, and garlic; stir frequently until both sausage
and beef are well browned.
3. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, basil, fennel, pepper, and half
the parsley; mix well.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/2 cup water; mashing
tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
5. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered and stirring
occasionally until it thickens. (Appx 1 1/2 hours) 6. In a 8-quart
kettle, bring 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon
salt to boiling.
7. Add lasagna and allow water to return to a boil; uncovered
and continue stirring until they are tender.
8. Drain and rinse under cold water. Dry lasagna on paper
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 10. In medium sized bowl, combine ricotta
or cottage cheese, egg,
remaining parsley and salt; mix well. 11. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce into
a 9x13x2 inch baking dish. 12. Layer with 1/2 of the lasagna, lengthwise
and overlapping, to
cover. 13. Spread with half of the ricotta or cottage cheese mixture;
top with one-third of mozzarella. 14. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce over
cheese; sprinkle with 1/4 cup
Parmesan. 15. Repeat layering, starting with the remaining half of the
lasagna and ending with 1 1/2 cups sauce sprinkled with
Parmesan. 16. Spread with remaining sauce; top with rest of Mozzarella
Parmesan. 17. Cover with foil and tuck it around the edges of the
dish. 18. Bake 25 minutes; remove foil; bake uncovered another 25
minutes or until Mamamia's Lasagna begins to bubble. 19. Cool for 15
minutes prior to serving.