||BRIAMI - Greek vegetable casserole
||Main dish, Side dish, Casseroles, Greek
2 lb Zucchini
4 md Potatoes
2 Green peppers
1 Red pepper
2 md Onions
1 c Olive oil
4 md Tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 ts Sugar
Salt + pepper; to taste
(1) Prepare the vegetables: Cut the eggplant, zucchini and potatoes
in bite sized chunks (do not peel the zucchini or the eggplant).
Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and slice them into
strips. Peel and slice the onions. Dice the tomatoes.
(2) Saute' the vegetables except the tomatoes in the olive oil in
small batches. Saut' each batch for 2 or 3 minutes, then remove
from the pan, trying to drain some of the oil so that enough oil
is left for the next batch. When you're done, most (if not all)
of the oil should be gone from the pan.
(3) Place the saute'ed vegetables in a baking dish and toss them
briefly so that you won't get only one kind of vegetable in one
(4) Add the tomatoes into the pan and saut' for a couple of minutes.
Crush the garlic and add to the tomatoes. Add the sugar, salt and
pepper to taste and simmer for another minute.
(5) Pour the tomato sauce on top of the vegetables and bake at 350
deg. F or until the vegetables are tender.
(6) Serve with plenty of fresh bread and, if you like, some feta
cheese on the side.
Difficulty: easy. Time: 30-45 minutes preparation, 1 hour baking.
Precision: No need to measure.
Princeton University, Computer Science Dept., Princeton, New Jersey, USA