What is Borland Database Engine and how do I set it up?
Borland Database Engine (BDE) is a database engine shared by all our Organizers and some other products. It provides our software with all database functionality.
All our products using BDE install it automatically when you run Setup.exe. In some cases however (e.g. network installation, problem during the installation) it may be
necessary to install BDE separately. Also, when you install an evaluation version of our software BDE may be set up only partially and if you attempt to run more than one
application using BDE it will fail. To insure the best and trouble-free performance of our software you should set up BDE using the described below procedure (you only
have to do it once).
- Installing the 16-bit version of BDE is relatively easy. All you have to do is download http://www.primasoft.com/demo/bde16.zip file, unzip it into C:\IDAPI directory, and mdoify your
Autoexec.bat file by inserting C:\IDAPI; at the beginning of the PATH statement e.g. PATH=C:\IDAPI;C:\WINDOWS. Then, open WIN.INI file in your C:\WINDOWS
directory (you can use Notepad for that) and add the following lines at the bottom of the file:
[Borland Language Drivers]
Now, restart your computer and you are ready to go. For more information, or for network installation instructions follow this link: http://www.primasoft.com/bde16.htm
- Installing the 32-bit version of BDE is a little more complicated. Therefore, we have created a Setup program using a Borland-certified InstallShield installation
software. In order to install the 32-bit version of BDE follow these steps:
- Download the 32-bit version of BDE from our home page by clicking on the following link: http://www.primasoft.com/demo/bde32.exe
- Run bde32.exe and follow the instructions. In most cases BDE should be installed correctly. If you suspect BDE has not been set up properly read the following
In order to test if your BDE has been setup properly or in order to install BDE on a network do the following:
- Download Bde Setup program from our home page by clicking on the following link: http://www.primasoft.com/demo/bdenet.zip and unzip it into some temporary directory e.g. C:\TEMP
- Start Bde Setup (Bdenet.exe) and follow the instructions. When you get to the 3rd (last) page click on Test BDE button. If no error messages are
displayed your BDE has been set up properly. In case of errors you can try to click on Update Registry button and then on Test BDE button again.
- You can use the same procedure to set up BDE on a network except that you should install BDE on the server machine and, then, run Bde Setup on each client
machine. For more information, or for network installation instructions follow this link: http://www.primasoft.com/bde32.htm